Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Wild and Crazy Night

Wow, what a wild and crazy night of partying we had last night! As I was finally getting out of my jammies and into the shower around 4:30 (in the afternoon), Luke asked me if we were going to have anyone special come to our party....I had bought some shrimp cocktail, Lil' Smokies to wrap inside crescent rolls, hot fudge for dipping apples and marshmallows, the while not exactly sure why, the kids KNEW it was going to be a special night. Luke seemed content when I told him we'd invite Grandpa and Grandma...after all, how many others would be willing to "party" with a 3 and 4 year old and end several hours before the reason for celebrating actually occurred?

But then it hit me! Our new friends from church Randy and Trevor along with their three boys! They lived near by. Our kids love spending time together (well, my kids love theirs, I'm not sure if it works in the reverse). And they most likely wouldn't be out celebrating until the wee hours, especially since Trevor has to get up at 3:00 a.m. to get to her job! A quick call. The plans were set!

So....I rushed to get dressed (after my shower, of course!), clean the house or at least make it as presentable as possible (hey, even though they have three boys and are probably used to it, we had to get some things picked up and some put away...can you imagine wooden swords with a 2-year old, two 4-year olds, and an 8-year old boy? We DIDN'T want to ring in the new year with tears or a trip to ER! After all, deductibles start at 0 again!), and make our special treats.

I wish I could show you pictures. We really did have a blast. But in all honesty, I was having too much fun to remember my camera was sitting right behind me where I put it so I wouldn't forget to take pictures (maybe I should start taking the Watkins Brain Plus again!). We had pigs in blankets (Luke and Susi rolled them up!), carrots and dip (that Luke made), home made pizza, shrimp cocktail, apple wedged and mini marshmallows with hot caramel and hot fudge sauce (YUM!), orange spiced nuts, chocolate covered pretzels, cold root beer, slushy ginger-ale, and frozen Cranberry Slice or something like that (once it thawed). The adults sat and talked with the 2-, 3-, 2 4-, and 8-year old ran around screaming and playing and going wild. And we said good bye for the year to our new friends at just the right time....about 8:45. P.M.

Hope you had as good a time as we did!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my kind of New Year's Eve. Early to bed. We made it by 1:15 AM or somewhere near there. Then slept in today. I can just imagine how much fun the kids had with each other! (and I'm sure your new friends appreciated the invite, also.)