Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Let The Sun Shine In!

I'm sure you're thinking "why would Linda post a picture of such an ugly wall?" Well, this is our basement wall; at least, one of them. We have no windows downstairs. There used to be, from my understanding, a great wall of windows, but for some reason they were cement blocked up...well, all except for two which were boarded up.


Since most of our living is done downstairs, especially in the winter to conserve heat, you can imagine the lack of natural light would eventually wear on a person. This year was especially hard as we've had a very loooong, extremely cold winter. Too cold to take the kids out to play; several huge snow storms; many a day where it was so cold the car wouldn't even start. You know, the kind of day where you peek your head outside and can literally feel your snot freeze inside your nose (sorry, but it's true). In fact, it would get so cold that as one walks outside, there is this horrid squeak as your feet move on the ground...it sounds worse than finger nails on a chalk board. Worse than the dentist's drill. Well, maybe not that bad, but I have dentist issues.


Anywho, after telling my beloved how much I was going crazy with the lack of natural light, he must have strongly agreed with me because he did something about it yesterday, while the temperatures soared into the low 30s. (Yeah, it was a literal heat wave here in northwest Minnesota yesterday!) If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice some pin pricks of light peering thru the wall. You may even notice a faint, narrow line of light.


Below is what our wall now looks like. Still some work to be done in finishing it up. Tony's gonna put on some hinges, and we'll be able to crank it open when the weather sky rockets up to the 40s (Karen and Martha, I'm not talking celcius here, okay?), and we'll be able to put in a screen, too.



I'm happy. And not so cranky. Although I can now see all kinds of dirty spots on the walls that weren't visible before. It's ALMOST bad enough where I want the window boarded up again!
Not really.

5 comments:

Karen said...

hmmm, I think you're lucky to have a basement!
AND sun shine...let it pour in!...every day, any day!

liz said...

Nice job, Tony!

Martha said...

Yeah for the window!!! I'm SURE it has made a difference already!

Anonymous said...

Watkins all purpose clener does great jobs of cleaning up spots, etc.
Love your window! How many more can you get done?
Tony did a GREAT job, but then, when doesn't he?
So as Marcy sings, "So let the Son shine in, face it with a grin, open up your heart and let the Son shine in."
Looks Good!

GramS said...

i'm so glad you have light in your room! I dislike dark, artificial lighting. Even if it's all lit up, it still isn't the real thing. I hope you have many sunny hours streaming into your hearts and home.
I remember when I wanted an outside door in my kitchen, so, after many hints, I finally took down the curtain rods, and had a hammer sitting there like I was going to use it, and FINALLY got my door. Eventually got a cement block step until a deck was added.

Good job, Tony.