Monday, February 23, 2009

Joining the Circus

We got Dumbo from the video store over the weekend for the kids to watch. I warned them there was a scary part, but Luke assured me he was BRAVE and would take care of Susanna (funny how he's usually the scared one and she's the brave one!). I warned them that there would be a fire, but that Dumbo would be okay. "That's okay, Mama. We're brave!" Then a pause. "Will Dumbo's mama be okay?"

I couldn't remember. I didn't think so, but I couldn't remember. And I was honest. I told them I couldn't remember. "That's okay, Mama. We'll be brave."

Dumbo's mama wasn't okay. I had just run to the other room for a few minutes (after consoling a sad, tender-hearted little girl who didn't like the fire), when sobs and a small girl again came rushing to me.

"Mama, Mama, I'm so sad....Dumbo's Mama is lost and I don't like that." We snuggled for a big as I commiserated with her. Then, with a deep, shuddering sob, a tear-streaked little face peered up into mine and said "Mama, I don't want you to ever be an elephant and join the circus, okay?"

Okay, I know you're not supposed to laugh at your kids, especially when disciplining them, catching them doing something REALLY bad (but hilarious), or when they are opening their hearts to you, but come on! "Don't be an elephant and join the circus"???? Really, now!

I didn't laugh.

At least, until she left the room.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't ever want you to be an elephant either. You're my little girl! Hug the kids for us, and Tony too.

liz said...

Could you join the circus if you're not an elephant?

LindaSue said...

I'm afraid of her reaction next time the circus comes to town (yes, we DO occasionally have a circus come here....very small, very cheesy, perfect for children, and NO ELEPHANTS! But....have I scarred her for life???

Martha said...

Have you scarred her for life? Maybe. Stephen started watching one once called The Brave Little Toaster. He made me turn it off and now is a little hesitant around toasters. He also brings up, quite often I might add, that I made him watch that horrible video about the Brave Little Toaster.