Thursday, July 31, 2008

Another Favorite

It's been awhile since I posted some of my favorites, but today I introduced my kids to another of my all time favs. Shel Silverstein. Where the Sidewalk Ends. Silly poems that kids of all ages love. And sure enough, every time I told them, "this is the last poem for now!" Susi would beg, "then one more!" And so I did. Dozens of them. Delighting in my children's laughter while laughing myself at childhood favorites. While they won't yet understand MY all time favorite, "I Cannot Go To School Today," they learned quite a few things.

Joey threw a stone and knocked out the sun.
Don't put your finger up your nose or a razor-backed snail will bite it off.
Hug o wars are better than tug o wars.
You CAN eat a whale one bite at a time...it'll just take eighty nine years to do so!

And much more. If you have this delightful book, revisit it, with kids, if possible. If you don't have it, check it out of your library or pick up a copy. The investment is worth it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still enjoy those poems, and still read them! Try "Light in the Attic" and all the others. I think I have all of them. I'm glad you take the time to share them with Luke and Susanna. They are so delightful...poem as ell as kids!

liz said...

Laurel just did a poetry focus report on Shel Silverstein--what an interesting and talented man!

Martha said...

I can't remember the title, but my favorite one that I used to use during our currency unit at school was the one where a dad gives his son a dollar, but he keeps trading and trading because he thinks his dad is proud of how he went from "one" up to "five" (pennies). Sorry. I can't remember it all and the book is in Christopher's room and he's napping. Anyway, if you have the book, find that poem. It's a good one. :)

LindaSue said...

yep, we read that yesterday, and Luke thought the boy was quite clever!