Friday, March 14, 2008

Pi Day

Okay, I've never really heard of this since I'm not a math afficianado, but if you read my cousin Liz's blog today (link on the left), you'll read all about Pi Day. Is this just an excuse to eat pie? And if it is, why do you need an excuse???? I've learned quickly that pie is an essential part of the Carter family diet! Mama has some great pie and pie crust recipes, and we're all looking forward to a time not to far away when we can have her fresh rhubarb pie!

In the mean time, enjoy this recipe that can be used as a main course. This was a meal made for our growing family when I was a new mother for the first time. I do not remember who made it for me, and when the recipe was passed on to me, the name wasn't put on it. So sorry, I cannot give full credit.

Spaghetti Pi(e)

6 ounces of spaghetti noodles, cooked
2 tbs butter, stirred into noodles (I used Watkins grapeseed oil -- much healthier! or try the garlic/parmesean grapeseed oil for even more flavor!)

2 eggs beat well
1/4 cup parmesean cheese (stirred in to the eggs)

Mix egg/cheese mixture into cooked spaghetti, then pour into a 10" pie dish, forming a "crust."

Spread 8 ounces cottage cheese over bottom of "crust"

Pour one quarter spaghetti sauce onto pie for "filling"

Bake in 350 oven for 25 minutes

Sprinkle 6 ounces grated mozzarella over top and return to 350 oven for 10 minutes or until lightly brown

YUM!

I made this along with some great French bread from a recipe given to me by my sister-in-law Julia. It was wonderfully easy and very delicious. Here's her recipe:

1 1/4 tsp yeast
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup warm water
3 2/3 cup bread flour

Put through dough cycle on bread maker.

After cycle is done, take out dough, punch down, roll out into 8x12 rectangle, roll up long way like a jelly roll. Pinch seams and ends together, brush with olive oil, and let rise until double (about 30-45 minutes).

Before baking, make three slits on top of loaf and brush with egg wash (1 egg with 2 tbs water, beaten together).

Bake on 350 for 20 minutes, remove and brush with egg wash again, returning to oven for 5-10 minutes more. YUM!!!


This was a great meal to make at the same time....when the bread was rising after going thru the dough cycle, I made up the noodles and put together the pie...baked them together, and everything was ready at the same time! Luke kept telling me how WONDERFUL everything was! Tony wasn't as vocal, but he did eat quite a bit of bread, especially.

1 comment:

Martha said...

Oh Lin! Those sound good! I have a similar Spaghetti Pie recipe, but unfortunately, not everyone in my family shares my love for pasta w/spaghetti sauce. :( I made it once and only a few of us loved it. The bread sounds great though, too!!